Design and knit your own Color Outside the Lines classic Fair Isle tam in this 6-hour foundational class. If you’ve ever wanted to design your own Fair Isle but didn’t know where to start, this class is for you. Working with your choice of colorway (there are 6 to choose from) you will design a unique yet traditional tam.
First we’ll explore how color is used in Fair Isle design and then you will start swatching the main motif. Next I’ll guide you through the designing the other bands and the corrugated ribbing. Step-by-step you will build your personal design. And I’ll be answering your questions about changing colors, yarn dominance, knitting tension, the history of Fair Isle knitting—whatever you want to know.
During the class you will be doing lots of swatching (yes, I know and sympathize, but swatching for color is a lot of fun!). By the end of the class you will be well grounded in the theory and practice of designing a Fair Isle tam, you will have swatched your colors and motifs, and you will be ready to knit your own Color Outside the Lines Tam!
Dates & Times — all times are Pacific Standard Time:
March 27: 9-11:10 am
March 28:9-11:10 am
April 3: 9-11:10 am
Additional Zoom answer session: TBD
- $50.60 + shipping for the yarn pack (ordered separately).
Don’t forget to purchase a tam yarn pack!
Common Questions and Policies
What Experience Do I Need to Take This Class?
- You will need to have experience in stranded knitting, knitting in the round, and reading charts.
- Although this is a fast-paced class that covers a lot of material, we won’t be working in lock step—you can work as quickly or slowly as you like.
- I’ll be teaching live through Zoom, an online video conferencing app. If you have never used Zoom, don’t worry—it’s easy and free! Go to zoom.us to get the app and to find information about using it.
- You are responsible for downloading the app to your computer or tablet and learning how to use it before the class begins. I won’t be able to respond to technical questions during the class.
- You will need a good internet connection.
- I do not recommend using your phone because the screen is so small, but you are certainly welcome to use one if that’s all you have available.
- You might want to have access to a copier to make extra copies of the worksheets.
- The kit for this class includes 7 balls of Jamieson’s Spindrift Shetland (~115yd/25g each) and one mini-skein (~20 yards). This is a woolen-spun, 2-ply, fingering-weight yarn. You will have a choice of 6 colorways—they are not all available at all times due to sporadic yarn backorders.
- Please do not ask me to tell you which colors are in each colorway so you can create your own kit.
- The kit contains enough yarn to knit several tams!
Do I have to purchase a kit?
- Yes, unless you are signing up from outside the US (see below). I know from experience that having students bring their own yarns adds too many variables to the mix for us to effectively work as a group.
- If you are signing up for this class outside of the United States I will work with you to find a local source of the yarn or its equivalent. I will send you your handouts as pdf files.
- Use the following address when signing up for the class: 1153 the Alameda, Berkeley CA 94707
Choosing your own colors/motifs
- Although I will applaud your enthusiasm, I will not be able to give you advice if you choose to add colors to your design that are not in the yarn pack. Choosing and evaluating colors takes a lot of time and therefore cannot be accommodated within the class structure. However, if you feel excited and want to try, go ahead!
- If you prefer to choose your own motifs, again, I don’t want to discourage you but I will not be able to help you or evaluate your work during class.
- I will record the class and make it available to workshop participants for 10 days. This recording will not be downloadable.
- The class is limited to 24 students.
- I will keep a waiting list if the class fills. Please write me if you want to be placed on the list.
- If I can fill your spot from the waiting list I will refund your full workshop fee.
- If you cancel more than 2 weeks before the start date I will refund your full workshop fee.
- If you cancel less than 2 weeks before the start date and I cannot fill your spot I will issue a 50% refund.
- No returns or refunds for the yarn pack.